Omicron Delta Kappa, the national leadership honor society, is searching for an Assistant Director for External Relations. This position reports to the Associate Executive Director for External Relations and assists with fundraising, stewardship, campaign planning, communications, programming, and Foundation board relations. The position is based in Lexington, Va.
Founded in 1914, on the campus of Washington and Lee University, Omicron Delta Kappa has more than 280,000 living addressable members. Active circles (chapters) are currently located on more than 300 campuses.
This is a full-time position and which may require some evening and weekend work as well as travel.
A bachelor’s degree is required. A minimum of two to three years of development or advancement services experience is preferred. Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, including a strong ability to write clearly and effectively, are essential. Experience in working with volunteers and donors is preferred as is experience in event management. An understanding of the importance of building on-going relationships between the organization and its members, donors, and friends is required. An understanding of database segmentation, prospect identification and professional fundraising experience strongly preferred.
Stewardship and Donor Relations (20%)
• Devise and execute systems to assure timely, accurate, and appropriate donor stewardship including thank you letters, honor/memorial notification, etc. Research and draft special correspondence for donors as directed, for the signature of the Executive Director.
• Develop pledge routing sheets for new pledges; record pledges in Raiser’s Edge; produce monthly pledge reports, and generate pledge reminders as needed.
• Assist with development, distribution, and mailing of donor greetings such as birthday, holiday, sympathy, and congratulations cards.
• Coordinate additional stewardship for first-time donors.
• Complete weekly thank you calls to select donors.
• Assist Associate Executive Director with development of annual endowed fund and general activity reports to donors.
• Coordinate mailing from the National President with select members including significant volunteer leaders, donors, and prospects.
• Maintain and produce subscribers listing for The Circle.
• Respond to general inquiries about giving from donors and prospective donors.
• Prepare and edit Honor Roll of Donors list for The Circle.
Prospect Research (10%)
• Create donor profiles for event attendees to distribute to leadership prior to events.
• Research corporate and foundation prospects and assist with proposal development.
• Develop prospect profiles for major gift prospects.
• Conduct regular wealth screenings with Raiser’s Edge Target Analytics and other tools.
• Identify prospects through gift entry by long-term commitment, increased giving, etc.
Program Administration (20%)
• Maintain current knowledge base of fundraising best practices relating to this position.
• Order Foundation letterhead and other supplies as necessary.
• Assist with travel arrangements for the Executive Director and for the Associate Executive Director for External Relations.
• Coordinate renewal process for state charity registration.
• Provide administrative support the Comprehensive Campaign Committee.
• Develop and maintain governing boards section of website.
• Manage authorization of access to LinkedIn Group for O∆K, and use LinkedIn data for issuing member congratulations and professional information updates.
Database Management and Gift Processing (35%)
• Maintain accurate, up-to-date gift history, contact information, and other relevant data about constituents including members, volunteers, and circle contacts.
• Work with Financial Services Coordinator to reconcile or resolve any donation/gift issues that may arise as well as provide information to financial staff, auditors, and others as necessary.
• Process gifts (copy, record, assign to proper account, etc.) to the organization in a timely manner.
• Proactively maintain the integrity of the database including evaluation for needed information, problems, and updates.
• Create and produce bi-weekly and monthly management reports from database to monitor progress (financial results, giving patterns, fundraising progress, prospect moves); identify weaknesses and opportunities; and assist in financial forecasting.
• Update database with NCOA updates from printers.
• Generate lists and information as requested for various uses including electronic lists, e-newsletters, Nationwide or other partner agencies, etc.
• Input award winners, volunteer roles, and event attendees into donor database.
• Utilize existing database (Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge), assist in the evaluation of potential new database platforms, and keep current in advancement technology.
• Supervise student assistants who assist with data updates and research functions.
Direct Mail Support (15%)
• Work with Associate Executive Director for External Relations to develop, design, and produce effective prospect segmenting strategies to enhance direct mail and other solicitations.
• Prepare mail lists with giving strings and manage interaction with Printing Partners to insured timely mailing of solicitations.
Perform other duties as requested relating to the advancement and support of Omicron Delta Kappa.
The salary for the Assistant Director for External Relations is commensurate based on education and experience. Personnel at Omicron Delta Kappa’s national headquarters have free parking and access to recreation and library facilities at Washington and Lee University. Omicron Delta Kappa offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, paid sick and vacation days, and retirement contributions.
To apply, please submit a cover letter outlining interest in the position, related experience, and salary expectations, resume, and list of three references to Ms. Katy Datz, Associate Executive Director for External Relations, Omicron Delta Kappa, 224 McLaughlin Street, Lexington, VA 24450. Position will remain open until filled, but candidates submitting materials by April 14, 2017, will receive priority consideration. Materials may be submitted electronically at firstname.lastname@example.org.