About the Circle
NJIT was founded in 1881 as the Newark Technical School. Sponsored by the Newark Board of Trade with a matching grant from the New Jersey state legislature, it offered non-degree training in “Science, Mathematics, and Drawing.” Eighty-eight Newark residents made up its first class. The ODK Circle at NJIT was founded in May 1950, we have a long legacy of recognizing the outstanding leadership and academic achievements of NJIT students, faculty and staff.
Under the leadership of former president Saul K. Fenster, NJIT’s focus on education expanded to include research, the economic development of Newark and New Jersey, and public service. Since the mid 1970s NJIT has become home to nearly 50 laboratories, centers, and business incubators, resulting in hundreds of breakthroughs such as new methods for producing carbon nanotubes, techniques for monitoring the earth’s climate using measurements of earthshine, approaches to use membrane separation technology to desalinate water and algorithms for wireless telecommunications and signal processing. Research funding has surged to more than $75 million, and promises to keep rising.
During the first 60 years of existence, ODK initiated only men. On March 12, 1974, the ΟΔΚ National Convention convened in New Orleans and approved the initiation of women.They were: Newark College of Engineering Circle (now New Jersey Institute of Technology) – Carolyn Julia Kucinski and Diane Christine Ragosa
American Cancer Society Breast Cancer Walk
Attack of the Highlander
Honors and Awards
2014 Circle of Distinction