Circles have received the notice allowing virtual initiation ceremonies for the 2020 spring semester in response to campus changes related to the coronavirus and COVID-19. We know that many campuses are closed and have limited in-person activity. We understand that completing the selection and initiation process at this time is difficult, if not nearly impossible. If your circle has not completed or even started your application process for this term, we are offering a number of ways we can assist you with the administration of recruitment, selection, and initiation.
It is essential that circles maintain continuity with officers and circle operations. By completing the initiation process for this year and electing new officers for next year, your circle will be ready for the coming academic cycle. The recognition and development of leaders is now more important than ever. We encourage you to continue supporting your circle, its current and new members, and its legacy on your campus.
The National Headquarters staff is ready to assist you in completing your recruitment and membership process in the face of this unprecedented disruption. Below are just some of the ways in which we are ready to assist.
1. National Invitation to Membership (If you circle has not begun recruitment yet)
- This program is already place.
- We are ready to implement the email part of this program with as many circles as need it.
- This membership recruitment option may be implemented for your circle in as little as three weeks
2. Membership Selection
We recommend moving all membership selection to an electronic-process using survey tools, Google docs, etc. If you need assistance in setting up these processes, the National Headquarters staff is happy to help.
- While the National Headquarters staff does not normally take part in the actual selection of members, since these are not normal times, we will make ourselves available to circles that may need additional application reviewers.
- We can assist in the final decisions on candidates if a circle is struggling to gather enough members to select the initiates.
- We are also happy to notify individuals of their selection and direct them to the online payment system.
3. Membership Fee Processing
We know many circles collect fees manually in campus offices that may be closed. Even if offices are open, students may not be on campus to pay. We are ready to help your circle transition to the O∆K online payment system.
- We currently have a process for individuals to pay fees online.
- We are working on a new program that would allow your initiates to pay the National Lifetime Membership Fee and pay local dues, if required by the circle, through the national portal.
- Initiates would pay both national and local fees at the same time.
- The National Headquarters would provide regular reports of paid members to the circle advisors.
- At the end of the process, the National Headquarters will send a check to the circle for the balance of local dues after the initiation ceremony is complete.
4. Certificate and Pin Options
We are offering 2 options for the delivery of pins and certificates. We have added a selection button to the certificate order.
- Option 1 – We will ship the certificates and pins to the circle as normal. Certificates and pins can be presented in the future when students return to campus.
- Option 2 – We will ship the pins to the circle for presentation at a future date AND we will ship the certificate to the initiate at the home address listed on the application.
- See the guidelines for the virtual initiation ceremony from the notification already distributed.
- We are currently working on a national virtual initiation ceremony that would relieve local circles from needing to plan and hold its own virtual ceremony.
- This national virtual initiation ceremony will likely be held in mid to late April in order to allow many circles to participate and for members to participate in the official ceremony.
Our Society has survived other challenging times and situations. We made significant programmatic adjustments in our operations during World War II, and we have made necessary financial decisions in years when the economy has slowed. With the strength and support of the leaders who are members of our Society, we are confident that O∆K is well-positioned to continue its mission of recognizing and developing the campus leaders of today into the community leaders of tomorrow.
Please contact us [email protected], (877) 635-6437 or (540) 458-5336.