Omicron Delta Kappa, the National Leadership Honor Society, is recruiting a Communications Assistant. This part-time position is based at the Society’s National Headquarters in Lexington, Va., with flexibility for remote work.
As a member of the External Relations Team for O∆K, the Communications Assistant will support the organization by performing general communication functions including any of the following:
- Maintaining presence on and managing social media platforms;
- Drafting quarterly electronic newsletters and other digital member communications;
- Writing content for The Circle magazine;
- Preparing and distributing press releases celebrating member and Society achievements;
- Developing member profiles for electronic communications;
- Utilizing LinkedIn to create career networking opportunities and provide resources to members;
- Assisting with graphic design for print and electronic communications;
- Managing promotions of O∆K’s alliances, partnerships, and affinity program;
- Supporting the National Day of Giving; and,
- Other similar duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- One to two years of experience in public relations, communications, or marketing.
- Proficient in Windows, Microsoft Office Suite, and Google Suite (Gmail, Docs & Sheets).
- Experience with Adobe Suite is preferred.
- Demonstrate a “team player” attitude with the ability to handle a multitude of challenges.
- Strong writing skills.
Omicron Delta Kappa does not supply computer equipment and peripherals to part-time employees working remotely. O∆K will provide licenses for specific software programs as required.
This hourly position is paid at a rate of $15.00 and does not include benefits. It is not eligible for over-time. Personnel at Omicron Delta Kappa’s National Headquarters have free parking and limited access to Washington and Lee University recreation and library services.
This position is required for 15-20 hours per week for approximately 50 weeks during the fiscal year (July 1 – June 30) with time off during Thanksgiving, Winter Break, and national holidays.
The Communications Assistant should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
- Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behavior and business practices. Ensure behavior is consistent with these standards and align with the values of the organization.
- Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others both internally and externally to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Communicate Effectively: Must possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Focus on Client Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
- Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions, which are timely, and in the best interests of the organization.
- Organization: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress toward goals, and track details using data and information management tools.
- Plan: Set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
- Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
Submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to Katy Datz, vice president for external relations, by emailing [email protected]. This position is open until filled. Candidate review will begin on June 15, 2021.