In early 2018, National President Matthew W. Clifford and Foundation President Sally Albrecht charged a group of volunteers from the Omicron Delta Kappa Society Board of Directors and Foundation Board of Trustees to explore the full leadership development and fundraising capacities of our organization. The Commission on Alternative Governance Strategies was charged with the tasks below:
- Examine the current governance structure of the Omicron Delta Kappa Society (the body of circles as represented at the national convention), the Society Board of Directors, and the Foundation Board of Trustees. Identify any redundancies and inefficiencies presented in the current model, as well as the strengths afforded by two governing boards.
- Research the elements required to appropriately govern the functions of the Society and Foundation.
- Explore alternative governance models, including merging into a single governing board with consideration of legal, financial, and strategic opportunities.
- Consider possible membership requirements in a revised board structure, titles of members and staff, term lengths and limits, and roles and responsibilities of a governing board as well as advisory boards and standing committees.
- Examine strategies to maintain the intentionally inter-generational nature of volunteer leadership within Omicron Delta Kappa.
Michael Christakis, Immediate Past National President, Alfred University Circle, Chair
Matthew Clifford, National President, Davidson College Circle
Linda Hooks, Member-at-Large, Society Board of Directors, Louisiana State University Circle
Sally K. Albrecht, Foundation President, Rollins College Circle
J. David Gibbs, Foundation Vice President, University of Richmond Circle
Virginia Edwards, Trustee, Foundation Board of Trustees, University of Kentucky Circle
Andrew Brown, Student Member-at-Large, Society Board of Directors, Grand Valley State University Circle
Marc Slotnick, Trustee, Foundation Board of Trustees, University of Miami Circle
John Herbst, National Parliamentarian, University of Kentucky Circle (non-voting)
W. Jeffery Edwards, National Counsel, Washington and Lee University Circle (non-voting)
Tara S. Singer, Executive Director, University of Louisville Circle (non-voting)