The purpose of the conclave is to consider and vote on the “merger” of the Omicron Delta Kappa Society and Foundation into one single legal entity. According to the National Constitution and Society Bylaws, the proposed changes require an in-person vote of the circles of the Society.
This is not a convention. There will be two, possibly three meetings, at the conclave at which time the delegates present will review, discuss, and vote on the changes proposed. Because this is a special called meeting of the delegates, strict procedures have been drafted to ensure that the delegate attending has the full right and privilege to serve as the delegate for his or her circle.
Why Be a Conclave Delegate?
Serving as the delegate for the 2019 OΔK Conclave is a once in a generation opportunity. A conclave delegate will be able to witness and be part of OΔK history. You will represent your circle as we discuss and potentially usher in a new organizational and governing structure for Omicron Delta Kappa. You will join a network of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and board members who will share a common bond. Your signature will be on the official charter that will hang in the national headquarters pending approval by the delegates.
Criteria for Determining the Conclave Delegate
- For a circle to send a delegate to the conclave, the circle must be active and in good standing. An active circle is one that has initiated within the past 12-month period prior to March 29, 2019. A circle in good standing has all debts and invoices to Omicron Delta Kappa paid in full prior to March 1, 2019. Circles initiating between March 1 and March 29, 2019, will need to seek a specific waiver if your members are not paying membership fees through the online portal.
- The Conclave Delegate must have been initiated into Omicron Delta Kappa no later than March 1, 2019.
- The Conclave Delegate must be elected or selected by the circle through a process that includes notification of all circle members of the role of the conclave delegate, travel requirements, and issues to be decided.
- The Conclave Delegate should be a student officer of the circle but may be an advisor or member if that is the decision of the circle.
- The Conclave Delegate must be able to attend the entire conclave, including the orientation session, meetings, meals, and sessions in which review, discussion, and voting will occur.
Registering for the Conclave
Delegate registration for the conclave is a two-step process.
Step 1: The circle must select the conclave delegate. A circle advisor must complete and submit the conclave delegate nomination form [Insert Link]. O∆K will check the status of the circle and confirm the membership of the proposed delegate.
Step 2: If the circle is active and in good standing and the proposed delegate meets the membership requirements, the proposed conclave delegate will receive specific instructions for registering. The deadline for registering is Friday, March 22, 2019, at 11:59 p.m. EDT. If the conclave delegate does not register by the March 22 deadline, the circle will not be permitted to send a delegate.
Omicron Delta Kappa will cover all hotel, meal, and material expenses for the conclave. The circle or conclave delegate is required to cover all travel expenses (including meals during travel if necessary) to and from Charlotte (airline and/or ground transportation).
O∆K has established a carpool program for circles in specific geographic areas to facilitate carpooling to the conclave. O∆K will only provide the online platform for carpools to be established; the National Headquarters will not coordinate travel. Conclave delegates will be responsible for all arrangements and communications with the carpool. The carpool link will be provided once the delegate is registered.
The conclave delegates traveling by public carrier (plane, bus, train) are responsible for all transportation to and from the Charlotte Douglas International Airport or local bus or train stations to the hotel.
To nominate the circle delegate, please select the Delegate Nomination Form.