The initiation ceremony is one of the most important events in the life of a member and a circle. The planning and execution of the initiation ceremony or ceremonies each year should be considered a circle activity that involves all active members of the circle. It is not just the responsibility of the student president and advisors. Here are a few general tips.
- Make it formal. The more reverence given the ceremony, the more important the members feel.
- Make it public. OΔK ceremonies are never secret. Invite the campus. Specifically, invite senior administrators and faculty to participate. Invite family and friends of the initiates. This should be a public celebration of leadership.
- Make it memorable. Include an important speaker; induct well-known institutional members as honoris causa; create a tradition that is unique to your circle. These additions to your ceremony will make this event one that members, families, and guests remember for many years.
The following are essential to the initiation ceremony.
- The official Initiation-Ritual Handbook (revised July 2021). The initiation script in Word is available below at the link below.
- The Recruitment and Initiation Guide FY 2022
- Ritual Items – Ceremonial Key, Record Book, Candles, OΔK tablecloth and/or podium cloth
For assistance with your ceremony planning, please contact the National Headquarters, firstname.lastname@example.org, (540) 458-5336.