To inspire service to our community, OΔK hosts a National Day of Service each year. OΔK’s National Day of Service will be held on Thursday, April 14, 2022.
Circles are expected to complete a signature service program each year. The program or project does need to be held on the National Day of Service, although that is a great way to support the Society. If the program is not held on April 14, then we hope your circle and members will post images and stories on social media from your event and tag OΔK. That way, you are sharing your service activities on our day to recognize service.
We continue to recommend in-person and virtual ways to be engaged in service activities. Below are a few options that you may consider when deciding on a service activity.
- Give blood. Click here to make an appointment.
- Support local small businesses. Order take-out from your favorite restaurant, buy a gift certificate to use later, or shop online with a local business.
- Card-making for local heroes. Show first responders and emergency volunteers your gratitude. Click here to learn more.
- Be My Eyes. Lend your eyes to solve tasks to assist blind and low vision people by downloading an app and being on call. Click here to learn more.
- Translators without Borders. If you are fluent in one language, in addition to your native language, you can assist by translating medical texts or translating to help in crisis response. Click here to learn more.
- Virtual nights with seniors! Bring cheer to your community by engaging in conversation with seniors. Contact a local assisted living or nursing home and virtually volunteer your time.
- Doggie treats. Call a local animal shelter and ask if they would be willing to accept your homemade treats. Find an easy recipe online, and donate the treats to the shelter you selected.
We would love to hear about your National Day of Service experience so we can share exceptional service projects and programs in The Circle magazine, in our electronic communications, and on our website. Share your stories with us by completing this form. Or, if you have questions about planning your circle’s National Day of Service, please feel free to contact us. We may be reached at [email protected] or (540) 458-5336.
Three Ways to Volunteer
In other years, there are three ways your circle or an individual can get involved and give back:
- Volunteer individually or as a group with an established nonprofit
- Plan and execute a small-scale service project that members of your circle can complete together
- Plan and execute a campus-wide service project that is open to participants who are not members of OΔK
OΔK encourages circles and members to be safe and follow CDC, local, and campus guidelines for any in-person service projects. Be safe while you serve!