The O∆K Career Center may be used to search for a position or to search for candidates. There are fees for posting positions within the Career Center. However, there are no fees to create a candidate profile as a job seeker. One of the features of the Career Center is that individuals can post their information in an anonymous resume bank.
Tips about using O∆K Careers
O∆K Careers, like any web-based job search engine, is only effective if you put time and energy into the program. When using O∆K Careers, make sure to consider the following:
- O∆K Careers is designed to be a connection between O∆K members on the job front. Make sure your profile and your resume in O∆K Careers highlight your leadership and O∆K experience. Many employers with an O∆K background are looking for the O∆K brand.
- Update your profile often. Each time you receive an award, degree, or addition to your resume through service or leadership, find a way to include it. This is very important if that experience is directly related to field(s) in which you are applying.
- Use the Resources Section of O∆K Careers. This section has tips on resume writing, preparing for interviews, and networking. There are links to professional career search experts and information which are truly beneficial to your search.
- You can limit your search to only O∆K Careers postings or search all available. We recommend you look as broadly as possible but start with O∆K posted jobs. By starting with O∆K, you know you will have a connection to the employer through O∆K. Use that connection to your advantage.
General advice about your job search
Advice about looking for that first or second job is in no short supply. We reviewed a number of websites, articles, and blogs about the job search. Two lists stand out (we do not promotionally endorse either) – one is a traditional, straight-forward list of good ideas. The other points to more unconventional ways. Both are good reads.
- Quint Careers – 14 Quick Tips for Finding a New Job
- Forbes Magazine – 10 Unconventional (But Very Effective) Tips For Job Seekers
- Resume Baking a free resume builder
The best advice is to know yourself and your goals. Many of the lists encourage you to take self-assessments. The career services office at your institution should be able to help you with those. Be careful: self-assessments need professional guidance and interpretation. Just because the assessment reveals that you have a creative side doesn’t mean you are destined to be the next Michelangelo.