The start of each spring term always brings hope that our campuses will warm up and that the plants and minds on campus will blossom once whatever physical or mental thaws take place. My colleagues and I on the Omicron Delta Kappa Society and Educational Foundation Board of Trustees hope your 2023 will be a productive and successful year.
As the chair of the Society’s Board of Trustees, I want to share with you some updates about our organization’s progress during the fall term and information about our plans for the future. Please read below.
- The FY 2022 annual report issue of The Circle is out. This issue contains the profiles of this year’s scholarship recipients, award winners, and new trustees, along with the honor roll of donors. You may read it online here. Thank you to everyone who helped make our last fiscal year a great success.
- During the Fall 2022 term, the Society’s 428th circle was installed at Valparaiso University in Indiana. Plans are already well underway for installing another circle in the next several months on the campus of Young Harris College (YHC) in Georgia. YHC is led by President Drew Van Horn, a 1981 collegiate initiate of the Elon University Circle.
- As noted above, spring is often a time of change. As you may remember from my previous correspondence, Omicron Delta Kappa is currently searching for its next President and Chief Executive Officer. The position is officially open as of July 1, 2023, and details about the search may be found on the Society’s website.
- The National Headquarters recently completed the Second Annual Circle Advisor Training Workshop. This program is provided to advisors at no charge, and O∆K covers the costs of housing and meals for both days of the event. More than 20 advisors from across the country took advantage of this educational opportunity this year.
- Nominations are open for the Society’s national awards. To nominate a member for one of O∆K’s service or diversity, equity, and inclusion awards, please review the information here. Nominations for these honors, including self-nominations, will be accepted through March 1, 2023.
- Another way to participate in the campaign is by donating on the National Day of Giving. Please make a note to hold Thursday, May 4, 2023, for this annual event. This event will be preceded by the National Day of Service on Thursday, April 13, 2023.
- The Society is approaching the finish line for its first-ever comprehensive campaign. More than $5.4 million has been raised toward the $5.6 million goal. The campaign concludes on June 30, 2023. If you would like to participate in this historic effort, please contact President/CEO Tara S. Singer at firstname.lastname@example.org or (540) 458-5340.
- The 2023 National Leadership Conference is being planned for November 17-19 in Atlanta. This event will be the first time in more than a decade that the conference will be held during the academic year instead of being scheduled for the summer months. We hope that with a modest registration fee, many students, advisors, and lifetime members will be able to join us at the Westin Buckhead for this educational opportunity. Omicron Delta Kappa hopes to raise $50,000 from members in the region to underwrite the conference.
- To update your information so that we can send communications to you by email in the future, please visit this link. Also, please feel free to update us with your other news and accomplishments.
- Very soon, you will have the opportunity to update your own information by using the new O∆K Member Portal. You will need an email address to be able to utilize the platform. If you are not already receiving emails from Omicron Delta Kappa, please send in your information using the link above before March 1, 2023. Individuals will receive log-in credentials through email to access the portal. Through the portal, you may access your O∆K record, including your membership data and biographical information. You will be able to register for programs and events, connect with other O∆K members, and access discount codes for special member benefits. We will add chat and search functions as we build out the portal.
While our Society and its national volunteer and staff leadership teams continue to make good progress, the lingering effects of the pandemic on higher education continue to be reflected in O∆K’s membership numbers. If you ever have an opportunity to encourage an individual to join the National Leadership Honor Society, I hope you will do so. Every year, our organization adds tangible benefits that help members access leadership development opportunities, secure discounts on professional services, and explore career opportunities. Membership in Omicron Delta Kappa is still a mark of high distinction in the academic and professional world, and employers recognize that our students are the best of the best.
I genuinely appreciate your interest in the Society, and we remain proud that you are one of our distinguished members. Please feel free to share your thoughts or concerns about O∆K and feel free to contact me directly at email@example.com.
Best wishes for a successful 2023!
Yours in Leadership,
Sandra B. Thurmond, MSHA, FACHE, FACMPE
University of Alabama at Birmingham, 1987
Board Chair, Omicron Delta Kappa and Educational Foundation Board of Trustees